The ISLN Readers Cup is an annual event with two different components: an online quiz and a readers festival. It is held annually over two weeks in April / May.
The ISLN Readers Cup Quiz is an online competition using the Red Dot books as the source of the questions. (Note: In the past, the format has been face-to-face, but it will always be online going forward.)
It is held annually, asynchronously over the course of a week, either in the last week in April or first week of May. Each school decides the timing for each team to take each quiz over the course of the week. This year’s QUIZ dates are Monday, 9 May through Friday, 13 May 2022.
The ISLN Readers Cup Festival is an (ideally) in-person event in which teams participate in activities related to the Red Dot books. The ISLN Readers Cup Quiz results and the Red Dot shortlists for the following year are announced during the Festival. A local writer or illustrator will be invited to speak.
It is held annually in April/May, on the first working day following the completion the ISLN Readers Cup Quiz – usually for an afternoon. The Awards/Announcement segment of the Festival will be held online after school. This year’s ISLN Readers Cup Festival date is Tuesday, 17 May 2022.
- Registration: $20 per student for ISLN member schools; $30 per student for non-member schools
- Team size: Teams should have a maximum of six students; if a school cannot field a team, they can enter an individual
- Number of teams per school: Each school can enter up to four teams in each category
- The competition categories are:
- Younger Readers (Years 3 to 5 / Grades 2 to 4)
- Older Readers (Years 5 to 8 / Grades 4 to 7)
- Mature Readers (Years 8+ / Grades 7+)
- The ISLN Readers Cup Quiz questions will be shared on Kahoot!
- Final Quiz titles will be announced in early January
- Practice questions will be made available on this site a few months before the Readers Cup Quiz
- Winners in each category will get possession of the Readers Cup trophy for a year
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams will receive medals
- All participants will receive an online certificate of participation
- Other gifts and prizes may be donated by sponsors or arranged by individual schools